segunda-feira, 15 de setembro de 2014

The Comic Con Experience Montreal 2014 - ENGAGE!

"I think that, if the world was a bit more like Comic-Con, we'd all be a little happier." - Matt Smith


GOOD AFTERNOON, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Today, I am happy to bring you THE COMIC CON EXPERIENCE!!! YAAYAAAAAAYAYAYAYA LALALALALALALALALALALOSJFHOAIRSUHGEDFOCJASOSILOFLKD

Yep, the Comic-Con happened in Montreal last weekend, from September 12 to 14. The event, made famous by the still celebrated San Diego conference, happens all over the world containing special merchandise (yes - ALL the collectibles you can imagine), actors, writers, artists, producers and directors in panels about the movies and comics that we love.  And, IMO, the best attraction of 'em all: THE COSPLAYERS!

I had always wanted to go to one ever since I heard of the  San Diego one. So when I learned about it's Montreal counterpart, I rushed (figuratively) into the internet to buy my rather inexpensive general admission tickets -  there wasn't a doubt in my mind about whether to attend to Palais du Congrés that early on a Saturday or not.

This year's panel highlights included "ENGAGE", a Star Trek: TNG reunion; a Doctor Who Expo  with Matt Smith and some Daleks and a lot of talk of Hulk Hogan with a movie screening of some sort ( I didn't attend). There was also a very honourable guest (who we didn't get to meet either): George A. Romero, from Dawn of the Dead - probably not the one you saw, though...



Optimus Prime
I bought the general admission ticket for Saturday, September 13. It was from 10:30am to 7pm. Good thing it was all on the inside, because it was the coldest day since Winter so far, and it rained all day long. The place was so crowded it was freaky, but it had an awesome ring to it - look to your right, there's a group ofCommanders, Scientist and Operations Officers of the Enterprise hanging out with Thor and a soldier from the Survey Corps, straight from the outskirts of Wall Maria. Look to your left, there's Galactus posing for pics with ("Say my name") Heisenberg while Batman enjoys a nice hot coffee - in a dress. It's quite something to see. And the best part is that everybody answers to their character's name. Talk about identity crisis.

There were some very cool cosplays of Darth Vader, Imperial Stormtroopers, the Titans and soldiers from Attack on Titan, Thor, Assassin's Creed, Kill La Kill, Doctor Who, Iron Man, The Joker and even Indiana Jones... It's all a very strange and exhilarating sight. Grown ups and children, everybody's doing the exactly same thing - living in the world of their favourite medias and fictions for one day. The family entertainment theme could be clearly illustrated by this one family I saw as The Guardians of The Galaxy: dad as Starlord, mom as Gamora, eldest son as Groot and the youngest kid as Rocket Racoon. Kudos to you, my friends you almost warmed my heart.

Okay, so we were there before the gates opened and the line was unbelievable. I'd never seen such a thing, there was so many (weird) people. Once the gates opened, though, everybody swept inside. It was a pavilion filled top to bottom with merchandise stores, action figures, collectibles, T-shirts and everything else you can imagine. The Photo-Ops - picture-oriented meeting with celebrities - were located in booths near the entrance. The line was mind-blowingly big, too (and expensive).

Heisenberg, Jessie and Saul Goodman
I got to buy lots of merchandise (as you can see below). Has anybody ever watched Death Note? I got a t-shirt and a necklace of L, the World Gratest detective. I also got a poster and a button from the Survey Corps, in Attack on Titan; action figures from Star Wars, Breaking Bad and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But you haven't heard the best part yet. There are also opportunities to get autographs from the celebrities (for 60 dollars at least, no doubt). And there was a certain guest of honor whom I have admired for a long time: Sir Patrick Stewart! ENGAGE! I got in line to get his autograph at about 3pm. It was scheduled to begin at 3:45. But, as the organization of the event was not, say, top notch, it was nearly two hours late. I was very close to the beginning of the line and still, it took a long time. When he entered the room, everybody cheered and screamed and he made a hat bow to the crowd. It was really a lot of people. I must admit, I did scream. A lot (C'mon, it's MONSIEUR-SIR PATRICK STEWART!!!).
Finally, when the time came for my turn, he was pleasant and friendly. He was intrigued by my boyfriend's name - Guillermo - and tried to pronounce it perfectly. He did it, though, and signed the picture with both ouR names. I could barely say anything, I think I was a little in over my head in starstruck-ness. (!!!!!!!!!!!)

Then I ran to the bathroom.

Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed. But the autograph remains. THANK YOU MR. STEWART!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

Well, in a nutshell, it was an incredible experience, worth every penny. I plan on going every year and, if I can, go to the San Diego Con someday. If you're into comics, movies, series, animes or cartoons (there was a Venture Bros cosplay) and all of that, I'd really recommend it. It is fucking awesome.



"As the captain, I was going to be having the dominant role in most of the episodes, and that was appealing. I wasn't interested in coming to Hollywood to sit around." - Sir Patrick Stewart

Music Junkie

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Sing.