domingo, 24 de agosto de 2014

The Lion King - Le plus grand musical au Monde

"From the day we arrived on the planet, and blinking, stepped into the sun... There is more to see than can ever be seen, there is more to do that can ever be done! (...) It's the circle of life, and it moves us all!" - The Lion King

HELLO THERE, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! *ROAR*

How are y'all doing this week? Myself, I am feeling awesome this week. That is, because I got to see one of my favourite musicals and stories in general: The Lion King! C'mon, who doesn't love it? I spent years of my childhood watching it non-stop. When I first got to see it on Broadway, it blew my brains off. It's completely fucking awesome.To be fair,  it's a fail proof spectacle: a story based on a classic by Shakespeare, Disney-level production and the final, outstanding Broadway touch.

The show is here in Montreal since August 19 and it's going to stay until September 7, presenting at the Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, at the Place Des Arts complex. I went to see last Wednesday, the 20th. It was completely sold out. There were people talking all sorts of different languages, but in the way out, by the way they smiled and sung the songs from the show, you could tell - everyone loved it! It's one of those kinda shows that leaves you with them good feelings.




 I had already seen it (twice), but it didn't change anything. It really is an incredible show. The first song, Circle of Life, counts with the performance of one of my favourite characters, Rafiki. It's different in the theatre version; it's played by a woman. The animals all come from every direction, getting up on stage through the public. The costumes are colourful and bright; it's a very cool effect played with the lights. And plus you see everyone around you going "NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH STIVEEENIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" in a genuine crowd bonding moment, right from the get-go.

My other favourite character, and possibly the best villain Disney could conceive - the only other one who actually killed anyone -, is Scar. C'mon, you gotta love him!!! Yes, he is one bad cookie, but he's a genius. He manipulates everybody for 20 years; he's probably the only (other) bad guy who actually could pull out his plan. He committed only two flaws: he trusted the hyenas to finish Simba, and he talked a little bit too much at the final stand (then again). Minor mistakes in an otherwise perfect campaign. And Be Prepared is a very cool song, specially in the theatre. In the show I saw last Wednesday, Patrick R. Brown played Scar. He is a renown performer and he's already played the character in Singapore and the Broadway.

I was in a row when I left the theatre, so I set to re-watch the movie as soon as I could (this time in its full HD glory). Now, fun fact for those of you credit-ignorers: in the movie, Mufasa's voice is played by James Earl Jones - AKA, Lord Vader himself. Once you know that, it's impossible to see the movie without picturing Darth Vader saying Mufasa's lines. Remember who you are, Simba. You are my son, the one true king (And the heir of the Galactic Empire). Hehe. I just can't get enough of it. Dude's voice is awesome.



That is also a very cool moment in the theatre version. The logistics and effects used to bring back Mufasa's reflection are complicated and yet perfectly pulled out. It took a mix of dark lights, black tissues and light flexible wood - a set of really steady hands. It really is something to see.

I also really like the costumes in the theatre version. They're not dumb imitations of animals, but complex robes and masks as to incarnate these achetypical deities from african legends - which also happen to be spawns of a very lucrative Disney franchise. Check'em out:


Even though I love the live orchestra, I must admit, I did miss Hans Zimmer's score. When you've seen something one way for almost fourteen years, it stays that way, regardless of the new, yet valid, interpretations; and it's hard to change your concept. But if we're talking theatre, it is an awesome tuned orchestra indeed.


All in all, I strongly recommend you to see it. If you have the chance, take it right away. It's an incredible experience. I know it is presenting in Sao Paulo, Montreal and Broadway right now, so if you're around any of those places, check it out! Because in the end, 

"we become the grass, and the antelope eats the grass in a great circle of life."

PS.: Have y'all seen Disney's bloopers for the cartoons movies? I LOVE THEM. This is the one from The Lion King. Check it out!


"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it!" - Rafiki

Music Junkie

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Sing.